Good quality of sleep is important for the pregnant mother to achieve emotional wellbeing and normal baby development.
Every pregnant mothers should have at least 8 hours of sleep everyday.
Unfortunately, nearly 30% to 40% of the pregnant ladies unable to sleep well, particularly toward later stage of pregnancy.
Among the reasons that cause you to be sleepless:
1) Constant baby’s movement during night time. The baby usually starts its gymnastic lesson during night time : )
2) Heavy compression from the womb to the back muscle.
3) Frequent urination. Most of you need to wake up 3 to 4 times every night to pass urine.
4) Leg cramping which is commnoly occurred during half way of sleep.
Tips to achieve good quality of sleep:
1) Make sure you are really tired and sleepy before going to bed.
2) Avoid from taking supper and drinking too much of water before sleep.
3) Avoid from taking excessive coffee and tea during day time. You are advised to drink not more than one cup of coffee/tea perday.
4) Avoid engaging in any excessive physical exercise before sleep.
5) Learn some relaxation techniques to induce sleep, such as muscle relaxation and breathing exercise.
6) Establish a regular and routine sleeping time. Try to regulate your sleep / wake schedule by going to bed and getting up at the same time every day.
7) Use your bed only for sleep. If you're in the habit of paying bills or watching TV in bed, stop. Reserve your bed for enjoyable activities, like sleep, sex, and maybe a little light reading.
8) Always sleep on your left side to avoid back muscle compression by the womb.
Always turn to the left side to avoid back muscle compression
9) If you still could not sleep…..get out from bed and leave the bedroom. You can watch TV or listen to music first before you try again.
10) Taking a nap in the afternoon is helpful to regain alertness if you are sleepless the night before.